Thursday, December 18, 2008

Eulogy to Observing







While I am looking forward to starting my new land-based job, there are some things about tagging along on commercial fishing trips I will miss. Like the irony of being out on a huge, ugly, dirty, killing vessel in the midst of the most awe- (and sometimes fear-!) inspiring landscape, teeming with millions of unknown little beings beneath its surface. Like meeting interesting new people whose friendliness and general goodness remind me that my faith in humanity isn't entirely unfounded. Like relishing a night spent in one's own bed, early in and late rising, because it might happen about once a month. And the like the opportunities to take some really cool pictures like these.

4 comments:

1stExpressions said...

now i know you weren't using a personal camera out there ;-) so glad you'll be joining us in the office, and don't worry, you'll still have a chance to get out on the water. the good thing is you'll be able to decide when you want to go.

Unknown said...

I can only imagine what it is like out there. Coming from a family of (Great Lakes) fishermen, I feel it is in my blood to be out there...but not as deep as my guts, apparently!
Great pics.

50sgal said...

Hey, heard you wanted to hang, and I am up for that. I have been busy with my project this year (in case you forgot me Im the one who did the craft shows with the artwork)You can check out my blog if you want to see what craziness I have been up to.

50sgal said...

I am glad you have found me and thank you for your kind words about Gilbert. We need to hang out sometime. Jen has told me you mentioned it as well.