Saturday, December 6, 2008

It's not FAIR!

I've met alot of great people at craft fairs, but the events are burning a hole in my pocket and in my calendar. I've only peddled my wares at two different ones, but both times I have come out behind when I factor in table fees and materials and time to make items. I have spent about 15 hours of setup, sitting, and breakdown and Buddha only knows how many hours crafting items. I think nimble-fingered children in China making Nikes end up making more per hour than I do.

Granted, I'm not trying to support myself by doing this. I have a full-time job. Am I expecting too much of a hobby? Is breaking even too much to shoot for? Should I continue to frequent craft fairs for the comeraderie that lack of customers incites? Who else will buy from my fellow crafters if I'm not there to walk around, leaving my lonely table unattended without even a backwards glance? Are craft fairs a thing of the past? Are they still just a place for dish towels with knitted hang tops and crocheted barbie clothes? Boiled hot dogs and overpriced coffee? Dodgy baked goods and tacky knick knacks?

I'd much rather be selling my photography than selling cat toys (which I could use some nimble fingers for making -- it's so labor-intensive!). But people pass the pictures right by. They don't bother to look. It's not even that they look and don't like. They just don't look. But where is the best place to put something so it doesn't take up valuable space in your home? On the wall! I need to start buying more art, methinks, considering I have to blaze trails through the jungle of laundry and craft supplies littering my home. The only room left is on the wall.

So here's what I propose: We take back the craft fair! We should start calling them handmade arts fairs or something, anything that doesn't imply a church basement full of mothball-scented baby layette sets! I want to see more felting, more batik, more papercrafts, more original clothing and accessories, more ART. How can we do it?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

First, i'd like to say, i'm with you! i think the term 'craft fair' does indeed stir up dreadful thoughts for some people and, let's be honest...who can blame them. People who have shyed away from fairs or have bad memories may be coaxed into another look/try if we jazz up the name and atmosphere.
second, i just want to say that it is disheartening to have the first few shows so dismal. i feel dejected every time. but we seem to all have the same problem...if you don't have edibles or something 'just like grandma used to have' no one seems to give a glance.
i wish i had a solution...maybe 'craft night' should be 'how to take over the craft world' night???

Compass Rose said...

Muah hahahahaha! Craft world domination...I like how you think! But really, along with crafting or baking or whatever, we should do some mega brainstorming on how to further the homemade movement, and ourselves in particular! We're bound to come up with something helpful.

atomicliving said...

We met a cool older woman at our first one and she is an artist and emailed me about possibly doing 'art fairs'. I think we should get her involved and serioulsy just rent the damn sons of italy accept the first one may not be that big, but get artists (NO FOOD, NO CRAP!) and then try to advertise the HELL out of it, INCLUDING a HUGE SIGN On 28. I think we should form an art collective ( so far we have u and me and jen and steff) and see who wants in, start meeting and setting them up. Especially in summer when tourists have deep pockets! I would love to actually have easels set up with painting for sale by many artists. etc.

atomicliving said...

They have a cool art fair in cotuit in the summer on the town green, we could meet up with the towncouncil or whomever, and see if we could organize another one. And call it somthing cool and then try to do them in the various towns thruout summer when the days are longer and we have more energy cuz of the sun!

atomicliving said...

hey crafty sunday, post one of ur cool things and we will comment and spread the love!

1stExpressions said...

I am so with you!!

http://stitch-witch.blogspot.com/2008/12/calling-cape-cod-crafters.html